GWP* and application of discount factors

I wish to apply different discounts to each of the gases from now to perpetuity using current values for CO2e. I am sure this is old work. Can anyone direct me to a source spreadsheet or even a paper looking at this? I would be interested in comments from anyone that has investigated this. If all else fails could someone point me towards the equations used by most recording the rates of decline.

Applying different discounts to gases based on their CO2 equivalent (CO2e) values is indeed a nuanced approach to addressing emissions. Here are some resources and strategies to get you started:

1. IPCC Reports: The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) reports often provide detailed methodologies and equations for calculating CO2e and related metrics. The latest assessment reports can offer insights into discounting and rate of decline calculations.
  2. Academic Papers: Look for papers in journals like Environmental Science & Policy, Climate Policy, or Journal of Climate. These papers often discuss methodologies for discounting greenhouse gases and adjusting CO2e values. Google Scholar is a good search tool for finding relevant studies.
  3. Spreadsheets and Tools: Some climate and environmental organizations provide tools and spreadsheets for calculating CO2e and applying discount rates. For example, the Greenhouse Gas Protocol has various calculation tools and guidance documents. The “GHG Protocol Calculation Tools” could be useful.
  4. EPA Resources: The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) offers various tools and methodologies for greenhouse gas accounting and reporting. Their website may have relevant spreadsheets or equations for CO2e calculations.
  5. Climate Policy Organizations: Organizations like the World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) often provide resources, tools, and papers on greenhouse gas accounting.

If you’re looking for specific equations, here are a few commonly used ones:

• Global Warming Potential (GWP): GWP is used to compare the impact of different gases on global warming. It’s a factor that converts the amount of a gas into CO2e. For example, the GWP for methane is 25, meaning 1 ton of methane is equivalent to 25 tons of CO2e.
  • Discounting Future Emissions: This involves applying a discount rate to future emissions to reflect their present value. The formula generally used is:Discounted Value=Future Value×1(1+r)n\text{Discounted Value} = \text{Future Value} \times \frac{1}{(1 + r)^n}Discounted Value=Future Value×(1+r)n1​Where rrr is the discount rate and nnn is the number of years into the future.

If you can’t find a specific source or spreadsheet, you might consider reaching out to climate researchers or environmental consultants who specialize in greenhouse gas accounting. They may have additional resources or be able to provide more tailored guidance.