Research Volunteer: Food Systems Handbook

The Food Systems Handbook is an independent non-profit project focused on alleviating food insecurity. We aim to identify promising and efficient interventions and share our findings with our growing network. In practice we conduct literature reviews, interview stakeholders and organise roundtable discussions with experts on specific food insecurity drivers and interventions. The emerging insights result in reports which we disseminate with our network of academics, international aid agencies, non-profit organisations, humanitarian aid actors, industry, governments, multilaterals and food system thinkers from around the world.

Researchers are deep diving into current and future issues that could lead to acute food insecurity and famine. They read literature about the global food system and the mechanisms that can lead to famine. Further research will go into possible interventions. Researchers contribute to ranking and comparing interventions to help identify the most promising solutions that we want to highlight and advocate for. An example of our work is this report on crop diseases & pests (note especially the Method section). Our Resaerch Volunteer role description provides further details.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting! I highly recommend checking out the Food systems Handbook resources around different food security issues. Volunteering with them offers a great opportunity to become more involved with the science-policy interface around food security at a more technical level. Plus you get to work with a really great team.

Of course I’m a little biased as I really enjoyed speaking with one of FSH’s co-founders on the Feed podcast with Sahil Shah. Sahil offers a nuanced view on incorporating resilience into transitioning from smaller to larger scale farming, specifically around scaling the production of Seaweed.